Wednesday, March 21, 2012

And the nominees are...

*drum roll*...

I was excited to stumble across the Bon Appétit post yesterday about the James Beard Award Nominations.  For those of you who do not know, these are the Oscars of the food world.  I'm still learning a lot about this world, so this nominee list is really cool to see.

http://eater.com/archives/2012/03/19/here-are-the-2012-james-beard-awards-finalists.php

My food journey has really become more extensive over the past few years.  When I've traveled, I've really tried to find some gems.  I've also really connected to a few media outlets, chefs, food personalities, and restaurants who have taught me a ton and sparked some passion in me.



1. Christina Tosi - The Pastry Chef behind David Chang's Momofuku chain in NYC.  Her branch: Milk Bar.  I discovered this via a fall 2011 Bon Appétit issue that featured some of her mind-blowing creations. I went to New York later that year and fell in love with the pastry shop.  I couldn't get any of the treats here in Nashville, so any time I visited, I made sure to stop and pickup some Corn Cookies or Cake Truffles.  She realized the Milk Bar cook book this past fall, and it has been the most influential cook book I've ever owned.  She causes you to think drastically outside the box (pre-packaged cake mix, anyone?) - and I've realized that rules are meant to be broken!  Her story is very cool in how she made her journey to where she's at now.  Very inspiring.  I was very proud to see her name on the list of nominees for the James Beard Rising Star Chef of the Year award.  I, personally, think that her cookbook should've been listed in one of the categories, and that Milk Bar should've been featured in a handful of other categories.

2. Joanne Chang - the Harvard grad turned baker / pastry chef and owner of Flour Bakery in Boston.  I first saw her on a Throwdown episode with Bobby Flay.  She kicked his ass with her sticky buns.  I've been craving them ever since.  I then was searching around for an old fashioned banana bread recipe - one like my grandma used to make.  I found Joanne's.  Her's was all I'd imagined - and more.  I think the secret ingredient is crème fraîche - and her technique of creaming eggs and sugar together for a ridiculously long amount of time.  She's nominated for Outstanding Pastry Chef.

I love cooking all types of food, but I think I light up most when it comes to baking and pastry work.  Maybe it's the reward from the extra time it takes.  It's a little bit more of an art form.  Layering a cake, icing it, making sure it's perfect - it's almost like sculpting.  I think this is why I'm drawn to Tosi and Chang so much.  Additionally, I think they express intelligence and humor in their work.  You can't go to Milk Bar and not crack a smile at all the playful tricks used to recreate child favorites like Cereal Milk.  And the fact that Joanne Chang is a Harvard grad is bad ass.  Period.

3. Bon Appétit Magazine - I look forward to pulling the new copy out of the mailbox each month.  I'm constantly inspired to recreate recipes, incorporate new techniques and ideas into my own cooking, and to grow on my own path in the food world.  I would love to work at Bon Appétit someday.  We'll see.  They're in 4 categories.  VERY much deserved.

4. Wolfgang Puck - Enough said.  Nominated for the Lifetime Achievement Award.  I just can't help but like him.  He was the ORIGINAL food celebrity.  He's paved the way for many.

5. Frasca - Boulder, Colorado.  I'm partial to this amazing Friulian-inspired restaurant only 45 minutes away from my hometown.  The folks here serve fantastic food in a fantastic town.  I also was inspired here to shape my butter into a quenelle.  They made the list for Outstanding Wine Program.  They did, in fact, have a great wine list when I was there.

6. PTD - New York.  Stands for Please Don't Tell.  I've tried on two separate occasions to get into this place on two separate trips to New York.  It's a secret speakeasy, and you enter through the phone booth of an old hot dog joint.  No joke.

7. Thomas McNaughton - Flour + Water - San Francisco.  I don't really follow Thomas McNaughton, but I  had the pleasure of dining at Flour + Water last year, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had.  We waited two hours to get in, and it was more than worth every minute.  Not to mention, the Mission neighborhood is a fantastic place in SF to stand out side and chat with with friends on a warm evening.  Thomas is nominated for Rising Star Chef of the Year.

8. Ted Allen - Nominated for TV Food Personality/Host.  Some of you might remember him from the hit show Queer Eye.  Anyone?!  I never watched that, but I absolutely love this guy.  He's super smart, he's a great host on Chopped, and he really has a lot of insight in the food world.

9. Lastly, Mr. David Chang.  I actually didn't know much about this guy until I first discovered his incredible pastry chef Christina Tosi (my number one inspiration).  I later found out that David is one of those guys who revolutionized the food world in NYC, using techniques like sous vide cooking and adding whacky ingredients into traditional dishes for an off-the-wall experience.  I can see why Tosi and Chang are such a good match.  He's up for Outstanding Chef.  Go team Momofuku!

1 comment:

  1. Wolf Gang Puck the only food guru on the list I know of, this is some interesting most fascinating information Ryan. I agree completely,cake decorating is one of those art forms I'm compelled with,the sculpture's always have that WOW effect on me. When I'm online writing this is the one site that draws me in. Knowing that you have that passion in you to cook and create with you're hands is your very own hidden talent. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete