Saturday, February 26, 2011

Miller Union - Atlanta, GA

Last month's issue of Bon Appetit included a "Hot 10 List" of restaurants across the country who's chefs are reimagining dessert.  Because I was planning a trip to Atlanta with a friend of mine, I added Miller Union to my wishlist on Urban Spoon.  The article noted, "Lauren Raymond excels at creating unfussy southern-inspired desserts."  Additionally, the restaurant was featured on the BA Foodist's Top 10 Dishes of 2010, with their butterscotch-marshmallow ice-cream sandwich!






We made reservations and tried the restaurant last night.  It was very impressive.  I ordered a traditional southern dish I've wanted to try for a while - the Country Captian.


  • Wikipedia - Country Captain is a chicken curry dish which, in its basic form, is a mild stew made with browned chicken pieces, onions, and curry powder. Golden raisins and almonds are usually added. Many versions also call for tomatoes, garlic, and bell peppers. The dish is served over white rice.





It was definitely flavorful, but I didn't get a lot of curry flavor... and I'm a HUGE curry fan.  I make my own blend at home (basically Alton Brown's curry powder recipe with some added fenugreek).  I was almost expecting the depth of a Thai curry dish with some flavors of Morocco (included coconut and raisins).  There was coconut in the dish, but I don't think there was much, if any coconut milk used.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite as good as I think it could've been.  My friend, Matthew, ordered the ribeye with creamy polenta and leeks.  This was incredible!  Extremely rich, but outstanding. 



For dessert he ordered the fudge brownie with a scoop of house-made cookie dough ice cream.  I had lemon cake with lime sherbet.  Both were great.  Mine was a bit lighter.

I'll definitely come back and try some more things... I think it might have to be their Rabbit next time.  I'd also like to go back during the day, when they serve the ice-cream sandwiches.




 

1 comment: